Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Professional Apprenticeship Career Tracks (PACT)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Apprenticeship Career Tracks (PACT)

According to the Navy Counselors Association (NCA), one of the main focuses of PACT is emphasizing a two-way commitment between the Sailor and the Navy. By implementing aviation (A-PACT), engineering (E-PACT), and surface (S-PACT) professional apprenticeship career tracks, the NCA has asserted that the Navy will be able to better assist in the personal and professional development of its Sailors. The Career Information Management System (CIMS) will be used to monitor Career Development Boards and Fleet RIDE rating eligibility screening will continue to be mandated to ensure PACT Sailors are placed into career paths they are eligible for.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publication..._52%20PACT.pdf

Please post info you found or experienced of this program below

Just curious...what kind of ratings come within the different PACT's like I know GM would be under S-PACT but can you put some examples down. I'm going in under this rate and I want to know everything I can about it before I leave Appreciate it.

Comment

the pact program is basically you go into the navy...as a seaman...or engineman or airdale depending on which one you sign up for...now for a seaman...you will be working with the Deck dept on the ship..you'll be working with the rate of Boatswain mates...they take a lotta pride in there work

Now you will paint the ship..do upkeep of the ship...while in port...
      when you're underway/deployments You willl stand watch as Helm, lee helm, forward and aft lookout...you will drive/steer the ship...

Now depending on the ship you get..you could be doing well deck operations which is were we flooded the back of a ship with water and have smaller AAV, LCAC's and LCU's come into the ship where they transfer marines to and from shore...on some ships you could be landing helos on a flight deck...you will also be mooring up the ships and you will also be dropping anchors for ships..you will be doing what we call conreps or replenishment at sea..where we take on supply's from one ship and bring them over to us...and you could get on the boat team where they drop a rib in the water and you could possible drive that....

also you will go to the galley and work there for 90 days, but everyone does it..from e-4 and below

now when it comes times to pick a rate..you will see everything on the ship and see how every rate works..but you will be doing that on your offtime...you will then put in for a rate/job..and if the navy say's you can you can take the test for it...now....you should know that it takes 9 months to go from e-1 to e-2 and another 9 months to go from e-2 to e-3 and another 6 months before...you take test to advancement to third class every march and sept time frame...now to go from e-3 to e-4 is on how well you study...I've know guys who don't make e-4 and they get out of the navy.....so don't be discouraged it's what you make outta the navy...

now some words of advice...do your best..don't always listen to what you hear...figure out who you can trust and who you can't trust...the Boatswain mates...the e-7 and above like to try to get all undes people to go BM's b/c it's there rate...my advice to you if you don't wanna go that route is not to say you don't wanna go BM b/c you will be branded a "dirtbag"..and will probably be treated differently after that..my advice is say you don't know and do your job and and your PQS...stand out..and then when it's time to take the test tell them what rate you want...take the test and hopefully you score high enough and get outta deck...

that's what you will be doing hope it helps you can always ask any question...I will tell you what I've seen from exp...and what not...they are my opinions..everyones exp from the navy is different...so take what poeple say with a grain of salt...
      i forgot you will also be doing a lotta work..as in working party's..and all kinds of stuff..you are pretty much the all around sailor's to go to when people need help..you will be there early and get off late also....tho you won't be the first division there and won't be the last..but you will be working early and getting off late...

also you can strike pretty much any rate you want as long as your qualified for the rate and you meet the requirements and that rate isn't closed or over manned...

I also went this rate and this is what we do....it's a lotta fun being in Deck we do work hard but we play even harder...let's just say that when OS get's off the ship and they get to drink...we get drunk in half the time..and still have a good time!!...

Comment

My son is in the A - PACT he tells me that he will become an Aviation Electrician through this job where everywhere else says that he must be signed up under AT or AE classification. Has the recruiter blown smoke up my sons 6? I need some guidence to help him see what he is getting into. Thanks in advance.
        Semper Fi

Comment

He's not going to be an aviation electrician. He has a chance to cross-rate into AE/AT, though. If the recruiter specifically told him he's A-PACT and that he will be an AE/AT, he's completely lied to your son.

I don't know what he'll be doing though.

Comment

ur son has the chance to strike for a rate...he's pretty much goin into the aviation rate...he will be landing aircraft's and doing whatever the airdales want him too do..I'm not too sure bout what he'll be doing for certain....now when he's up for e-4 he'll go talk to a CC(command career counselor) and they will help he put in for the rate he wants and to order him a test so he can strike it...now he'll need to make sure that his line score's for the avasb is good enough..and that the rate is open..if the rate is overmanned he won't be able to get into it...but you haven't told us what rank your son is goin into either??...From my exp..goin thru a Pact program is a lotta hard work...and yes long day's mostly is goin to suck but he'll get a chance to look at all the jobs in the actually fleet where as someone who's already in a rate that get's to the fleet may hate his/her job..and then won't be able to get outta it..until there enlistment contract is up.

Now before you say they can cross rate after 2 yrs...yes That is what the Instructions say..but from what I've seen all chit's to cross rate have been denied...either b/c of the rate they wanna cross rate too is over manned...or the rate they are in is undermanned or the ship will just denie it b/c they need you b/c they are undermanned on the ship/command....

But I also know that you want the best for your son..and Marine corp veteran you gotta let your son live his life and if that means making choices that he may not like in the future well you gotta let him learn..and I before you say anything it's not like he's smoking or doing anything bad...it's just a choice he'll have to live with for 4 yrs.....

I came in under this Program and so did a lotta other guy's I've served with..some made rank really fast and some didn't..it's all depends On how will your son study's and can get some OJT(on the job training)...and how well he's liked...the Navy plays a lotta favoritism.....I didn't actually make third class til i was 3 yrs In and that's only cause I was goin to only do 4 and get out..but then i made 3rd and stayed in i've done 7 and a couple of months..I reenlist next sept sometime..and i'll have just under 14 yrs when i have to reenlist again if the navy will let me...I've had my ups and down days...I've seen a lotta good guys get kicked out and a lotta guys who wanna get out stay in...

As long as your son does his work..and doesn't skate someone somewhere is watching and someone somewhere will look out for him....

Comment

Thanks Boats.

Comment

yeah no problem

Comment

hey, isnt it you can advance to e-2 after you pass the PQS while at boot camp? how do you sign up for the A-school?
                  You see, I was picked to be in E-PACT (i didnt know anything about rates at the time) and after google-ing about rates and stuff I decided to be in the medical field (HM). So how do i sign up for it? What other tests I need to take? What if my asvab score doesn't qualify me to be in the medical field? I'm still confused.

Comment

btw, im not a citizen yet.

Comment

Hey everyone. I enlisted in the Navy and i leave Aug 30 for basic. I enlisted with S-PACT. i'm a little confused as to how it works. Technically it doesn't matter what rating you are such as e-1 or e-3 when you want to strike for a job? also what are my chances of getting HM from being in the S-PACT program? i got a 75 on my asvab and my sub scores meet the requirements for HM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cypher089 View Post
                        Just curious...what kind of ratings come within the different PACT's like I know GM would be under S-PACT but can you put some examples down. I'm going in under this rate and I want to know everything I can about it before I leave Appreciate it.
                        The Navy liaisons should have given you a copy of this when you were at MEPS.

https://www.cool.navy.mil/enlisted/r...ards/spact.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Boats View Post
                          the pact program is basically you go into the navy...as a seaman...or engineman or airdale depending on which one you sign up for...now for a seaman...you will be working with the Deck dept on the ship..you'll be working with the rate of Boatswain mates...they take a lotta pride in there work

Now you will paint the ship..do upkeep of the ship...while in port...
                          when you're underway/deployments You willl stand watch as Helm, lee helm, forward and aft lookout...you will drive/steer the ship...

Now depending on the ship you get..you could be doing well deck operations which is were we flooded the back of a ship with water and have smaller AAV, LCAC's and LCU's come into the ship where they transfer marines to and from shore...on some ships you could be landing helos on a flight deck...you will also be mooring up the ships and you will also be dropping anchors for ships..you will be doing what we call conreps or replenishment at sea..where we take on supply's from one ship and bring them over to us...and you could get on the boat team where they drop a rib in the water and you could possible drive that....

also you will go to the galley and work there for 90 days, but everyone does it..from e-4 and below

now when it comes times to pick a rate..you will see everything on the ship and see how every rate works..but you will be doing that on your offtime...you will then put in for a rate/job..and if the navy say's you can you can take the test for it...now....you should know that it takes 9 months to go from e-1 to e-2 and another 9 months to go from e-2 to e-3 and another 6 months before...you take test to advancement to third class every march and sept time frame...now to go from e-3 to e-4 is on how well you study...I've know guys who don't make e-4 and they get out of the navy.....so don't be discouraged it's what you make outta the navy...

now some words of advice...do your best..don't always listen to what you hear...figure out who you can trust and who you can't trust...the Boatswain mates...the e-7 and above like to try to get all undes people to go BM's b/c it's there rate...my advice to you if you don't wanna go that route is not to say you don't wanna go BM b/c you will be branded a "dirtbag"..and will probably be treated differently after that..my advice is say you don't know and do your job and and your PQS...stand out..and then when it's time to take the test tell them what rate you want...take the test and hopefully you score high enough and get outta deck...

that's what you will be doing hope it helps you can always ask any question...I will tell you what I've seen from exp...and what not...they are my opinions..everyones exp from the navy is different...so take what poeple say with a grain of salt...
                          i forgot you will also be doing a lotta work..as in working party's..and all kinds of stuff..you are pretty much the all around sailor's to go to when people need help..you will be there early and get off late also....tho you won't be the first division there and won't be the last..but you will be working early and getting off late...

also you can strike pretty much any rate you want as long as your qualified for the rate and you meet the requirements and that rate isn't closed or over manned...

I also went this rate and this is what we do....it's a lotta fun being in Deck we do work hard but we play even harder...let's just say that when OS get's off the ship and they get to drink...we get drunk in half the time..and still have a good time!!...
                          Boats, I just want to know how hard the test will be, and which subjects will it cover? What should I study? If understood it correctly, I can only try to strike for a specific job once I have been an e3 for at least 6 months, right? TIA.

Comment

Sweet potato I'm not sure if you have to a be citizen or not...If you do that your first step to do..also...You have to put in a request to strike of the job..If the job is open like HM...then you can apply for it..which means you will go to the A-school if required or if OJT(on the job training) is required you will do that. Since your a E-pact..it means you're goin to be in Engineering. Now remember it takes your chief and your CO to approve your request so do your work..don't complain. then your chief's and the chain of command will help you. If you are a "dirtbag" then don't expect a lotta help...
                            Remember the Navy is what you make of it. Don't let other people get you down.

Comment

IndiaEight5 What test are you talking bout??..if you are talking bout a advancement exam. Then you will study whatever the rating you want to strike for. The test is as hard as you wanna make it if you studied....the test have a quota so depending on that quota wherever it falls...if you are above that number you get to put on third class..if your not then you don't..but they also have another number that if you are above that you are rated for that specific rating.....
                              Say I'm a E-3 undes..that wants to strike GM..the cut off is 153 for a score..to strike for the rate tho is a 145...say I score a 152. I won't be able to put on third class But I will be able to put on the designation of GM and will no longer be a striker(undes) rating. Do you understand?
                              If you are a E-3..then you should be able to take the test as soon as your in your 6 month window

Comment

Working...
                              X