X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Utilitiesman (UT)

Utilitiesman work with plumbing, heating, steam, compressed air, fuel storage, and distribution systems. Their work also includes water treatment and distribution systems, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, and sewage collecting and disposal facilities at Navy shore installations around the world. This is a 5-year enlistment program.

The duties performed by SWs include:

installing and maintaining systems requiring plumbing and pipe fitting skills;
    installing, operating and repairing heating, piping, ventilation and air conditioning systems;
    operating and maintaining water and wastewater systems and treatment plants;
    identifying and carrying out procedures to limit or minimize the adverse effects of environmental pollution;
    reading and interpreting blueprints and preparing sketches for projects;
    making estimates of material, labor, and equipment requirements.
    Working Environment

UTs may work in a variety of conditions, independently or as members of a large team. Their many different duties may be performed in climates ranging from tropical to arctic.

A-School (Job School) Information

Sheppart AFB, TX -- 94 calendar days

ASVAB Score Requirement: AR + MK + EI + GS = 200

Security Clearance Requirement: None

Other Requirements

60 month service obligation

Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating

First Sea Tour: 48 months
    First Shore Tour: 36 months
    Second Sea Tour: 42 months
    Second Shore Tour: 36 months
    Third Sea Tour: 36 months
    Third Shore Tour: 36 months
    Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months
    Forth Shore Tour: 36 months
    Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.

Much of the above information courtesy of the Navy Personnel Command

And you have to add there that "The newcomers begin "A" School (preliminary training) fresh out of boot camp, or they come from the fleet after their service term is met, spending about 75% of the twelve weeks immersed in hands-on training. The remaining 25% is spent in classroom instruction. From "A" School, new Seabees most often report to an NMCB command for their first tour of duty. For training, the new Seabees attend a four-week course known as Expeditionary Combat Skills (ECS) at the Naval Construction Battalion Center in Gulfport, Mississippi, and Port Hueneme, California. ECS is also being taught to all personnel who report to a unit in the Naval Expeditionary Combat Command. ECS is a basic combat-skills course where the students spend time in a classroom environment learning map reading and land navigation, battlefield first aid, how to lay out defensive plans, how to conduct patrols, vehicle egress, and many other combat-related skills. Half of each course is spent at a rifle range where students learn basic rifle marksmanship and then qualify with the M-16A2 and A3 service rifles. ECS students also learn fundamentals of the M9 service pistol and qualify. At the end of training, new Seabees are ready to perform with their new battalion. During their tenure with an NMCB, personnel may be assigned to a crew-served weapon, such as the MK 19 40 mm grenade launcher, the M2HB .50-caliber machine gun, or the M240 machine gun. Many reserve units still field variants of the M-60 machine gun. Unlike most navy personnel, Seabees wear the M81 Woodland camouflage uniform or the legacy tri-color Desert Camouflage Uniform. Seebee's use ALICE field gear as well as some units working with Marines use USMC issue ILBE gear."

* Also you will learn about CHEMICAL, BIOLOGICAL, AND RADIOLOGICAL (CBR) DEFENSE

The effects of chemical, biological, and radiological (CBR) weapons on personnel and equipment. This information includes the symptoms of
    CBR poisoning and its first-aid treatment. The CBR defense responsibilities in detail, individual protective measures, CBR defense equipment, CBR defense training and marking contaminated areas.
    Last edited by Mommy_The_Sailor; November 6th, 2011, 19:27.

Comment

^ and that is for all the Seabee rates

Comment

Basicaly ECS took over what the battalions used to do with thier PG's (prospective gains or newbies) wich was a two week intro to what ECS teaches in depth. I had the unique privlige to be honor graduate of ECS Class back in Feb 09. Its ok if you dont retain all the info in ECS because you will get the chance (alot more than you would like lol) to impove those skills becasue you will constantly be refreshing those classes through out your time in the battalion.

Comment

SW3 (SCW) Holt, thanks for the info.

Have you gad the chance to work with UTs? if so could you please tell me what it is daily life like in the rate, the places I could be stationed, what is the schedule like and what kind of control do I have about my studies, for example, choosing to work on pollution control, water systems or HVAC or any other help you can give me.

Thank you very much! and welcome to the forum

Comment

I'm going to be a UT...can't wait to ship out!! But I do have a question in regards to liberty at A school. How does that work during the week?

Comment

Originally posted by SALTY View Post
              I'm going to be a UT...can't wait to ship out!! But I do have a question in regards to liberty at A school. How does that work during the week?
              Yay another UT Welcome to the forum....

When is your ship date? and what do you mean on how does it work during the week. I have a friend that it on UT A School right now. And you going Active or Reserves?

Comment

I mean, is it possible to get a day during the week to go to the local courthouse or something like that during A school? I ship out March 20th, you? I'm going Active Duty, you? So what's the scoop on RTC and A school????????

Comment

I'm not too sure about getting a day off.. My friend is there right now but his class doesn't start until the 27th. I'm going active as well and I ship out next Monday (23rd) You will be going in as I'm getting out of boot camp. I will be sending letters so BC4M can share it with all of you about boot camp. And you ship out on my daughters B-day!

Comment

So your friend is just hanging out until class starts?? Are they allowed to go off base while they wait for classes to begin??

Comment

People on a "hold" status - between classes or waiting for orders - will be general "slave" labor for the base and the MA's on base. If they need a deck buffed - congrats, you get it. If they need rocks painted - congrats. Likewise for painting or various watches or anything else. Of course, if there is a Family Day or Open House, you may be a parking-lot attendant or guide. Usually it's just a regular work-day and very few nights or weekends... but don't count on that. Depending on the base and the people in charge, you may or may not be granted off base liberty at night.

Keep in mind that you will most probably NOT have a vehicle there... so transportation may be rough.

Comment

I see, thanks again.

Comment

Hello! I am shipping on 20130603 for bootcamp and my rating is UT. I see no one has posted here in a while and I have a few questions. How was UT training? Have any of you been deplpoyed overseas? How do you like this rate?

Comment

deployed*

Comment

Working...
                            X