Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is MEPS processing like?

Hi there!

What is MEPS processing like? How do they obtain Medical Records from other sources?

Do they dig the past 7 years?

MEPS is a bit different at each site. My MEPS experience went like this:

Went to the recruiting office to get taken to Knoxville MEPS.
    Rode for a bit, arrived at MEPS, walked in, went through security, put stuff in a locker and went to testing room.
    Took the ASVAB and the TAPAS. Navy also has a "speed coding" or "reading" test along with those. I finished all in just over 1hr.
    After that we went to the hotel and got assigned our rooms, got meal vouchers, and had to go over the rules.
    Went to hang in the room until 0330 next day, had breakfast, waited for the bus to go to MEPS.
    Once we got there we had to fall into single file line and listen to some yelling and rules.
    After you pass security and get inside almost immediately they start.
    You fill out some paperwork and they make sure you want to go through with it. Then testing begins.
    Vision, Hearing, Blood, Depth Perception, Joint Movement, Mental Health, Bone Position, Flexibility, A Full Physical, Drug Test
    They do go through your history practically since you were born. They need to know everything about you.
    Once you get through all the testing and whatnot you should be eating lunch. It would be roughly 1300 or 1400.
    You chill out and wait for your turn to get your AFSC and get an interview which is where they cover your past, present, and future. (contract)
    After that you will be sat down and read the "rules" of the Air Force and being Military Personnel then will be sworn in.
    When all is done you just hang out for your ride outta there. It's not bad at all just a ton of "Hurry up and wait" comes into play. At times
    it may seem a bit awkward but that is to be expected. Anymore questions just ask away.

Comment

EDIT: Removed due to double post.

Comment

Originally posted by AuXFire View Post
        MEPS is a bit different at each site. My MEPS experience went like this:

Went to the recruiting office to get taken to Knoxville MEPS.
        Rode for a bit, arrived at MEPS, walked in, went through security, put stuff in a locker and went to testing room.
        Took the ASVAB and the TAPAS. Navy also has a "speed coding" or "reading" test along with those. I finished all in just over 1hr.
        After that we went to the hotel and got assigned our rooms, got meal vouchers, and had to go over the rules.
        Went to hang in the room until 0330 next day, had breakfast, waited for the bus to go to MEPS.
        Once we got there we had to fall into single file line and listen to some yelling and rules.
        After you pass security and get inside almost immediately they start.
        You fill out some paperwork and they make sure you want to go through with it. Then testing begins.
        Vision, Hearing, Blood, Depth Perception, Joint Movement, Mental Health, Bone Position, Flexibility, A Full Physical, Drug Test
        They do go through your history practically since you were born. They need to know everything about you.
        Once you get through all the testing and whatnot you should be eating lunch. It would be roughly 1300 or 1400.
        You chill out and wait for your turn to get your AFSC and get an interview which is where they cover your past, present, and future. (contract)
        After that you will be sat down and read the "rules" of the Air Force and being Military Personnel then will be sworn in.
        When all is done you just hang out for your ride outta there. It's not bad at all just a ton of "Hurry up and wait" comes into play. At times
        it may seem a bit awkward but that is to be expected. Anymore questions just ask away.
        Hey AuXFire,
        Thanks for yoru reply. Ah I see, I don't know if MEPS is stressful. I haven't been on one yet and haven't attempted yet to make appointment for ASVAB at MEPS yet since I'm not ready. By the way, was ASVAB hard? I wonder how is taking actual ASVAB like. You did Cat ASVAB? I wonder if they still do paper and pencil asvab. Do they ask for Insurance providers and stuff? I don't know they would dig in and find out without telling them. So to do ASVAB first, does that require the pre-application paper work first? Sorry for my posts and too many questions. Also when going to MEPS, do i need to get copies of records first or do MEPS personnel have a way to get medical records? I don't know what to do if I do get DQ'd since I'm already over analyzing when I haven't even started the process or been there yet. LOL! Also in MEPS, do the applicants need to stay over night? Is there some that just took ASVAB and pass and wanted to gome and then come back to complete the next day instead of staying at MEPS for over not?

Would I need to drive to MEPS or have recruiter with me if I do go?

Comment

MEPS can get stressful but to be honest that's only if you make it stressful. For me the ASVAB was very easy and I scored high. I can't say it would be easy or challenging for anyone else because it all depends on you and your study habits. I have no idea what cat ASVAB is. They do it on computer now and give you paper and pencil to work things out. I didn't use it. They didn't ask me about insurance providers because its all paid for once you go. Yes taking the ASVAB does require you to have some paperwork done. You should turn the medical records into your recruiter. He sends what he needs to, to MEPS. It may be possible for you to take the ASVAB and come back a different day but as for coming back the next day that would have to be approved by higher up than your recruiting office most of the time, and most of the one they will say no unless its absolutely impossible for you to stay all night. As for driving there ou would also have to get that approved before you go. The recruiter just drives you there, drops off your paperwork, and picks you up next day. I recommend just staying overnight in the hotel they put you in. It's all free to you and you can talk to other recruits and military personnel while you are there to get more insight. You won't be getting a room of your own unless there is an odd number of women there. Men one floor women on another. We had navy MAs keeping watch on both floors during the night to keep sneaky people from getting into trouble. It's not a bad experience at all.

Comment

Just realized what cat ASVAB is. Yes as I said its on computer.

Comment

MEPS can get stressful but to be honest that's only if you make it stressful. For me the ASVAB was very easy and I scored high. I can't say it would be easy or challenging for anyone else because it all depends on you and your study habits. I have no idea what cat ASVAB is. They do it on computer now and give you paper and pencil to work things out. I didn't use it. They didn't ask me about insurance providers because its all paid for once you go. Yes taking the ASVAB does require you to have some paperwork done. You should turn the medical records into your recruiter. He sends what he needs to, to MEPS. It may be possible for you to take the ASVAB and come back a different day but as for coming back the next day that would have to be approved by higher up than your recruiting office most of the time, and most of the one they will say no unless its absolutely impossible for you to stay all night. As for driving there ou would also have to get that approved before you go. The recruiter just drives you there, drops off your paperwork, and picks you up next day. I recommend just staying overnight in the hotel they put you in. It's all free to you and you can talk to other recruits and military personnel while you are there to get more insight. You won't be getting a room of your own unless there is an odd number of women there. Men one floor women on another. We had navy MAs keeping watch on both floors during the night to keep sneaky people from getting into trouble. It's not a bad experience at all.
              Hey there! thanks for your reply. Ah I see, thanks for telling me how ASVAB and MEPS process is by your point of view. I thought MEPS would ask what Insurance Provider are you currently using. How do they tell if someone is disqualified? Where there alot of people who where disappointed because they were disqualified? As for the paperworks go, the birth certificate, educational stuff - transcripts, diploma, etc. Is that gonna be separated from the medical dept? I just don't know if they will allow me to do ASVAB with current situation. But others say I should just give up and not even bother doing the process.. And I know few people are already annoyed of my questions or situation.. Even at Q&A yahoo, one of them replied to me saying - just give up...i'm not gonna qualify.." so that was a putdown.

I wonder if MEPS is fun meeting recruits. I guess there's free food lunch?. How was it talking to the other recruits there?

I do wish you luck too!

Comment

Just realized what cat ASVAB is. Yes as I said its on computer.
                LOL! cool. I heard they don't do pen and paper ASVAB as much anymore. It's all computer based. I wonder what ASVAB questions they ask. Did you study using ASVAB for Dummies or Mc Graw Hills ASVAB study guide?

Comment

To be honest I isn't study one bit for over two years and made an 86 but I have been blessed with a good memory and great math skills. They ask a variety of questions that cover practically everything you can think. Math, science, puzzles, ect ect.

Comment

Originally posted by webgirl27 View Post
                    LOL! cool. I heard they don't do pen and paper ASVAB as much anymore. It's all computer based. I wonder what ASVAB questions they ask. Did you study using ASVAB for Dummies or Mc Graw Hills ASVAB study guide?
                    They actually do still administer the pencil and paper versions. That's what I took. I did it at a MET (mobile examination testing) site. You can talk to a recruiter about taking it this way. I liked it because now MEPS will only be a one-day process for me rather than two.

Comment

To be honest I isn't study one bit for over two years and made an 86 but I have been blessed with a good memory and great math skills. They ask a variety of questions that cover practically everything you can think. Math, science, puzzles, ect ect.
                      @AuXFire, awesome. If I do try take ASVAB, I do hope to do well. But when I ask the recruiter if there was an option to either do Cat-ASvab or paper and pen, he said they no longer do much pen and paper.. lol *waste of paper* save paper.. What was your favorite part of AVAB? Any general favorite subjects?
                      Have you taken a practice Asvab before an actual Asvab?

Comment

Originally posted by jenmccance View Post
                        They actually do still administer the pencil and paper versions. That's what I took. I did it at a MET (mobile examination testing) site. You can talk to a recruiter about taking it this way. I liked it because now MEPS will only be a one-day process for me rather than two.
                        @jenmccance - Ah I see, that's awesome you also took pen and paper versions. I'm not sure since I already asked a recruiter if they still do that he said computer is much better. lol. But I dunno. I guess it also depends on locations as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X