X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about background check

I just have a question about the background check at MEPS. I had a few charges against me when I was a minor. I had to pay restitution and did community service. My question is since I was a minor when it happened, will they still find it on my record? Aren't your records cleared when you turn of age? Should I still tell my recruiter about it? Honestly, I personally didn't do anything bad, my friends said they found an abandoned house and I went to check it out. Turns out it wasn't abandoned and there was alot of vandalism done and property stolen. Just because I went in, I ended up getting charged with a bunch of shit that I didn't do which sucked. Will this hurt my chances of joining the service?

I wasn't formally arrested or anything like that I just wouldn't want this to come up at MEPS and get in trouble for withholding.

Comment

Sorry, but if you had to pay restitution and do community service, you were not only charged, you were also convicted of the crimes.

In a background check, it will ALWAYS come up, no matter what lies you try to tell. It can't be used against you to charge you as a repeat offender or anything, but it WILL come up.

The question on the form is, "Have you ever been arrested, charged or convicted of any crime more serious than a minor traffic infraction, no matter how the matter was disposed?" This means that you have to tell them about this or you will be proven to be a liar and will get kicked out under fraudulent enlistment - _IF_ you make it to your recruit training without being found out.

With the downsizing and force reductions, it will be hard to get a waiver approved for this. This means that you will probably stand little chance of serving for the immediate future.

Moral of the story: There are always ramifications for your actions - and never, EVER lie.

Brian Raini
      I retired after a long military career, and I worked at a MEPS for a while.

Comment

Working...
      X