Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting frustrated! Will I ever go to MEPS?!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting frustrated! Will I ever go to MEPS?!

I'm starting to get a little frustrated/anxious about if I'll ever go to MEPS!

So here's what's going on: I initially visited my recruiter back in June when I was thinking about joining. I decided for sure I wanted to join and went to my recruiter again in August and filled out of all of the paperwork. He said I needed to gather medical paperwork and school transcripts and then he could probably get me to MEPS early in September. Gathering everything ended up taking a little longer than expected. When I did finally get everything to him (late September) he said I should be able to go to MEPS in early October. Early October passed and I didn't hear anything. Finally I called him and he told me their office was having a lot of issues with MEPS (No clue what that means!) and "don't worry we didn't forget about you." He told me he'd call me and if I didn't hear from him to call him. I didn't hear anything, so I called and he told me to stop by the office, but it had to be early cause he was taking a group to MEPS. (What the heck!? I thought they were having problems?!) When I did stop by he made me re-do all the paperwork I did the first time around and said I should be able to go sometime next month (November). I've yet to hear anything from him so I'm going to call sometime this week.

I've heard from many that everything is "hurry up and wait." I am very patient, but I'm just concerned my recruiter doesn't care about trying to help me. Is it normal to be waiting this long to go to MEPS for no reason (I have a clean record, no medical problems, NOTHING that needs waivers that I'm aware of) or should I try to find a new recruiter?

Thank you!

Some recruiters aren't very good at what they are doing. He probably forgot to actually file and do your paperwork after you filled it out and probably didn't really "remember" who you are. The paperwork could have got lost and he was trying to cover his a**. Just tell him straight up to get his act together, he can handle the firmness. If not just change recruiters or offices.

Good luck though!

Comment

Thank you for the reply! It's funny you say he may have lost my paperwork, because when I did go in and filled everything out again he was saying, "Now, I had your folder here when we were on the phone before you came in, where did I put it? Oh it'll turn up, I just have to look." So it sounds like that's maybe what happened.
      I tried calling the office yesterday, no answer. I don't know if I'll be able to confront him in such a straightforward way, but I'll definitely keep calling and calling until he gets the idea that I'm serious and I want to go to MEPS as soon as possible.

Comment

So I got a hold of my recruiter today and he said because of the upcoming holidays, "MEPS and everything is shutting down," whatever that means, so I'll have to wait until the new year to be able to go to MEPS.
        A 5 month wait just for MEPS? I think it's time for a new recruiter...

Comment

my son went thru the same thing, he went to an office in florida nov 2011 and the were still screing with him in April, I had him go to another office all together in late april and in May he had his rate and ship date, if you are not happy go see another recruiter the one u have is incompetent

Comment

Originally posted by lenny0861 View Post
            my son went thru the same thing, he went to an office in florida nov 2011 and the were still screing with him in April, I had him go to another office all together in late april and in May he had his rate and ship date, if you are not happy go see another recruiter the one u have is incompetent
            Thanks for the reply! Yea, I feel like I hear other people's stories and they start their process, go to MEPS and have their ship date and everything within two or three months, at most. My recruiter really is a nice guy, but I need someone who's willing to try a little harder to help me out. Unfortunately, the next closest recruiter is an hour away, but I gotta do what I gotta do. I'm calling there today.

Comment

Originally posted by jenmccance View Post
              Thanks for the reply! Yea, I feel like I hear other people's stories and they start their process, go to MEPS and have their ship date and everything within two or three months, at most. My recruiter really is a nice guy, but I need someone who's willing to try a little harder to help me out. Unfortunately, the next closest recruiter is an hour away, but I gotta do what I gotta do. I'm calling there today.
              the orig. recruiter was in our town the other was in a town 1 and 1/2 hours away but in the end it was worth it. He started the process in nov 2011 he finally ships jan 2013, his friend started their oct 2012 ships dec 2012

Comment

Thanks for the input lenny!

I called the hour-away office today and I explained my situation and the recruiter there ended up transferring my call back to my original recruiting station, but had me speak to the other recruiter in the same office. Now I feel I'm kinda gonna look like an a** when I go back in there and see my old recruiter, but it'll be nice to have the convenience of going to the office that's right down the street rather than an hour away. I just really hope it works out with this new recruiter!

Comment

Originally posted by jenmccance View Post
                  So I got a hold of my recruiter today and he said because of the upcoming holidays, "MEPS and everything is shutting down," whatever that means, so I'll have to wait until the new year to be able to go to MEPS.
                  A 5 month wait just for MEPS? I think it's time for a new recruiter...
                  MEPS only shuts down for part of the week for Thanksgiving and opens up until almost Christmas. You should be able to get in MEPS in the time between closings. All they have to do is send in that you need to go and get a reply of what day. Should be day of, day after, or same week. My MEPS date was 3 days after signing all my papers. This second go around is in about two weeks due to Thanksgiving. It sucks they sent you back to the same office. The only reason you would have to go to the other office is just to fill out the paperwork. PT isn't mandatory from what I can tell. You should be able to do your DEP calls from home. Also since it's so far away they would HAVE to pick you up if that was your "home" office. I was CO of my DEP group and the CO of the office told me if anyone calls needing a ride they HAVE to go get them no matter the distance really. (of course something like 100 miles one way wouldn't get someone a ride but an hour is no biggie) Hopefully your new recruiting officer will do a much better job, but as I stated before just be firm with them. Tell them straight up what you want done. Trust me, they will be able to handle every bit of it. They will see that you are serious and wanna get your sh*t rolling. I was firm with them from the start but I was also raised around a military lifestyle so I have the firm attitude naturally.

Comment

Update:

Went in to my original recruiting office today, but met with the other recruiter there. He had me re-do all of the paperwork again, but he has me scheduled to go take my ASVAB next Wednesday at an office close by and has set a date for me to go to MEPS (Dec 12-13)! He's already been 200% more helpful to me in one, one hour meeting than my other recruiter did for me in five, one-hour meetings over a span of 5 months. Not to mention he is so much more personable. I am super happy! I just hope he isn't giving me dates of false hope just to get me off their backs...Guess we'll see.

Comment

Getting frustrated! Will I ever go to MEPS?!

don't feel bad because I been at this navy thing 8months.i had my contract to leave in August but some dummy people the paper version asvab on the online.which made me have to take it at meps the cat version and I failed it but didn't give up,as of last Friday I study hard when to meps got my date and I back on track...good luck

Comment

Hey I wish you good luck when you go to MEPS for the branch of your choice. I can see why it's hard to get a hold of certain recruiters.

Comment

Originally posted by bhyphy View Post
                          don't feel bad because I been at this navy thing 8months.i had my contract to leave in August but some dummy people the paper version asvab on the online.which made me have to take it at meps the cat version and I failed it but didn't give up,as of last Friday I study hard when to meps got my date and I back on track...good luck
                          Don't feel bad. I have been at this navy thing since August 3 of 2011. Still haven't left for rtc yet.

Comment

Originally posted by AuXFire View Post
                            Don't feel bad. I have been at this navy thing since August 3 of 2011. Still haven't left for rtc yet.
                            Wow, guess I'm not alone. I've been lucky enough to have had things sped up A LOT for me since I've changed recruiters. I changed recruiters about 2 and a half weeks ago, took my ASVAB last week and am being set up to go to MEPS sometime in the next two weeks. Best of luck to the others in this situation!

Comment

I go to MEPS again this Thursday to get reclassified and inspected. I have had more problems than you can imagine. I went way past the max dep allowed wait period and I have been out of high school for over two years so I have to do everything again. Went on aug 6 2011 to get my first physical and get classified. Waited so long I gotta do it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X