Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did horrible, now i need help.

Hello,

I took my ASVAB yesterday and did absolutely horrible. I studied for 3 weeks. All the practice tests i took were a whole lot harder. I actually did well on those. The real test was a lot easier, at least i thought it was. I was extremely confident during the whole test and only struggled on few questions. I guess I was wrong when they printed my score of 35. I scored any where from 70-90 on the practice tests that I took. What the hell happened?!? I took 3 weeks to study due to the fact im 26 and completely forgot all that highschool stuff.The book I used was "The complete idiots guide to the ASVAB" Now i have to wait 30 days to retake. However my recruiter said this month the numbers have dropped so they are going to let people in with a mininum score of 35 so he wants to start getting things ready for me. However i did look up the jobs i qualified for which it was mainly avaition jobs, definitely not for me. I'm shooting for IS or IT. Any advice?

The same thing happened with me. I studied for a month with the ASVAB for Dummies, and was doing very well on my practice tests but when I took the official one, I got a 52 and was seriously thinking about retaking the test. However, I decided that I would see what jobs 52 could get me and after several trips to MEPs I got corpsman. Corpsman isn't what I wanted but it's a really good job but so are the other jobs. So, I think you should go with your score and I bet you'll find something you like. Besides, if it doesn't work out, you could strike out or don't reenlist when your contract is up. You should definitely get in as soon as possible!

Comment

I understand however that score barely qualifies me for anything. Main jobs i got were avaiation. Which is not what i want to do. I plan on retaking it. Any study advice to what i already have mentioned in my first post?

Comment

Concentrate on math. Be calm, take your time and relax. If you keep track of time, you'll probably do a lot better because you won't be worried about it running out on you.

Comment

Just got back from the second retake. and made a 44 which is an improvement from my 35. Still frustrated, going to try a different study method. Those questions are trickier than the practice test but there are less of them. Not giving up on this. I refuse to. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Just got back from the second retake. and made a 44 which is an improvement from my 35. Still frustrated, going to try a different study method. Those questions are trickier than the practice test but there are less of them. Not giving up on this. I refuse to. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Studying is different for everyone. I can not study for a full day and come back the next day to learn anything, my mind will not retain any information. So I set myself on a study schedule. I started with 10 minutes of study then rest for 10 minutes X6 every day for a week. This is mainly because I had an extremely short attention span. I progressed to 30 minutes of study and rest 10/15 minutes X4 or 5. This took about 2 months. I did make sure to take practice exams once a week and study the questions I got wrong. I would then spend the next 2 or 3 days retaking the test until I got above a 90 on each section. It was really tedious but it got me a 93 on the ASVAB. I studied for a total of 4 months.

Positive thinking is another tool. It helps you NOT second guess yourself. Have confidence, know that you will do well because you have done everything in your power to succeed.

Good Luck!

Comment

Studying is different for everyone. I can not study for a full day and come back the next day to learn anything, my mind will not retain any information. So I set myself on a study schedule. I started with 10 minutes of study then rest for 10 minutes X6 every day for a week. This is mainly because I had an extremely short attention span. I progressed to 30 minutes of study and rest 10/15 minutes X4 or 5. This took about 2 months. I did make sure to take practice exams once a week and study the questions I got wrong. I would then spend the next 2 or 3 days retaking the test until I got above a 90 on each section. It was really tedious but it got me a 93 on the ASVAB. I studied for a total of 4 months.

Positive thinking is another tool. It helps you NOT second guess yourself. Have confidence, know that you will do well because you have done everything in your power to succeed.

Good Luck!

Comment

I had it easy. I have been blessed with good memory and great math and technical skills. Being out of high school and college for 2 years and not studying I got an 86 on the first try at MEPS. I take my second this November, but I am not here to brag or anything of the sort. I used to study about once day for anything during school. The way I was shown that worked best for me was to study for about 10-15 minutes before you go to bed. Let it be your night reading and writing. One you fall asleep your brain acts like a computer. It saves what you just studied and it stays fresh in your mind because while you sleep your mind goes over and over and over the info you just gave it. Studies have shown that studying this way and not studying anything over 30 minutes actually helps you retain memories of the information you are trying to keep. I would ace a test that I didn't study for until the night before the test. The next time you take it, if you do, make sure when you are on your way to MEPS, about 10-15 minutes before you arrive glance over parts that you have some trouble with or hesitation on. I would also study in the morning while eating a fairly quick breakfast. The thing about the ASVAB is they TRY their hardest to trick you. Make sure to read the questions VERY clearly in your mind. Read them a few times if need be. I have noticed that a ton of people have trouble with the puzzle solving area. If that's you, go get some odd shaped puzzles. Not the average 500 piece deal. Get a tricky puzzle. Also, there are many apps for phones and also games on the internet that help your mind remember and recall information. You should look into playing some games. They are simple, fun, and help you out more than you would think. I LOVE brain games and challenging puzzles. Sorry if I rambled. I hope some of this helped and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AuXFire View Post
                    I have noticed that a ton of people have trouble with the puzzle solving area. If that's you, go get some odd shaped puzzles. Not the average 500 piece deal. Get a tricky puzzle. Also, there are many apps for phones and also games on the internet that help your mind remember and recall information. You should look into playing some games. They are simple, fun, and help you out more than you would think. I LOVE brain games and challenging puzzles. Sorry if I rambled. I hope some of this helped and good luck!

I played a lot of brain games as well. Its a great way to keep the mind busy while you are not doing anything. Sometimes even the easiest games are the best to play. We focus so much on the hard stuff that the easy stuff falls to the waste side

Comment

Working...
                    X