X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety?

I've wanted to join the Air Force for years now. My Dad and Grandfather are veterans, and at 19, having spent hours upon hours studying military avionics, I'd love to realize one of my lifes dreams and become an airman in the United States Air Force. Just one problem. I've been taking maintenance medication for anxiety since I was a child. I know this is a stupid question, but can I continue to fake my medicine throughout basic and beyond, or do I have to cease taking it?

Also, how do I convince my over-protective mother to let me join??

Thank you for your time in answering my questions.

With medication and a diagnosis of anxiety past the age of 13 is an auto-perma-disqualifier.

For medication, there is no guarantee that you will be able to get meds when deployed. Are you ready to possibly put peoples' lives in danger because you have an emotional problem? Would YOU want to serve next to someone that takes meds to stay "in the lane" and may not have access to them? Would you want your life to be in that person's hands?

I know this is harsh, but that's the way the military looks at it. If the world went to war and all the services needed LOTS of bodies to fill the ranks, there is a TINY chance you might be able to get a waiver submitted - and a smaller chance that you could get it approved. With the services in the middle of kicking people out - especially the Air Force - there is no chance a Recruiter will even talk with you.

Sorry to be a buzz kill.

Brian Raini
    I retired after a long military career, and I still keep in touch with Recruiters for all five branches.

Comment

Working...
    X