Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asthma Question

Hello,

I have a question regarding Asthma... In my case i only had an allergie when i was 4 years old which required for me to use a inhailer for less then a year or so, then around 4 or 5 my asthma went away and ive never had problems ever again, that happened in another country (cuba) I've smoked ciggarettes for more then 5 years (im 21) but ive stopped smoking so i can be 100% ready for bootcamp i work out constantly i am in really good shape my health is in really good conditions due to the fact that ive gotten a blood test recently and the doctor said so...

Now my question: Will this issue (which no longer has been an issue since i was 4) get me disqualified when i go to MEPS?

I told my recruiter and he just wrote it down, I didn't ask him if it would get me disqualified so i am asking here now.

Thanks!!

Lately, any mention of asthma at any age would get you DQ'ed.

but if your recruiter hasn't told you that you have no chance already, then you might have one.

Usually, they dont wish to get the necessary paperwork and do all the extra stuff that is required fro those who have asthma under 13... so they just say "sorry, your out". Most of the branches are getting so many qualified applicants thats there is no point in doing the extra work for those who have a few issues.

If your recruiter is willing to put in the work, you have a good shot. If you mention that you have asthma after 13, then there is almost no chance.

Be warned that he might tell you not to mention it if you wish to get in. He might say to keep it to yourself at MEPS... im not saying he WILL.... just saying keep an eye on him.

The fact that he did not tell you no right off the bat should give you reason to be optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by BootCamp4Me View Post
      Lately, any mention of asthma at any age would get you DQ'ed.

but if your recruiter hasn't told you that you have no chance already, then you might have one.

Usually, they dont wish to get the necessary paperwork and do all the extra stuff that is required fro those who have asthma under 13... so they just say "sorry, your out". Most of the branches are getting so many qualified applicants thats there is no point in doing the extra work for those who have a few issues.

If your recruiter is willing to put in the work, you have a good shot. If you mention that you have asthma after 13, then there is almost no chance.

Be warned that he might tell you not to mention it if you wish to get in. He might say to keep it to yourself at MEPS... im not saying he WILL.... just saying keep an eye on him.

The fact that he did not tell you no right off the bat should give you reason to be optimistic.
      I recently told a officer about my issue and he said i have nothing to worry about, thanks for your reply.

Comment

just don't say anything in boot and you will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Boats View Post
          just don't say anything in boot and you will be fine
          I told my recruiter and he wrote it down, so i have to tell them in meps because if i dont say what my recruiter wrote down then its a instant DQ...

I will tell them the truth, which is i had asthma for a couple months when i was 4 years old and never had it again after age 4 which is the truth. I will pass the physical because i am telling the truth and i have nothing to worry about.

If by any reason they ask me for paperwork from a doctor or something then thats going to be a complete waste of time on both our sides and i will still pass because i am telling the truth, thats why i am not worried anymore.

Comment

With your backstory of this happening when you were FOUR, I truly doubt that this will be a problem, especially if you were never diagnosed or treated for it after that. Heck, you MAY have had a slight case of pneumonia which was missed - as the lung sounds are similar - and since you were four years old, you couldn't verbalize what you were feeling appropriately.

If I were you, I would relax. Good luck to you!!

Brian Raini

Comment

Working...
            X