X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• push-up problems

so i have issues with push-ups. like i can\'t do a single one if i do them correctly. girlie push-ups (using your knees as a base) i can do just fine, but those don\'t fly in bmt. i ride horses and work do around the barn so i\'m not lacking in upper body strength. sorry if this makes anyone uncomfortable, but i have rather large breasts. like of the dd persuasion, but i\'m not over weight (i\'m actually under the average weight for someone my height and losing more every day). being so top heavy, i have the most difficult time completing even one rep of a push-up to try and do any sort of training.

should i continue to do one every few times a day until i can add one more rep and go from there or is there something else i could try? push-ups are seriously my only issue and it drives me insane. any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

start with a few repetition, if you'r really having trouble with it try doing 5 pushup. like 1 set of pushup (5p.u) in the morning another set before lunch another set in the afternoon. and so on. do that in 10-13 days days then rest for about 2-3 days, then you can increase your repetition..

Last month i can only do 20, today i can do 40.. slow progress but surely.. i hope that it will help you...

Comment

If you are as bad as you say, the best way to do it is via negative pressure and muscle failure.

To do this, if you have a full-length mirror, it would REALLY help - or at least one that you can look straight forward to see your form. A hand-held mirror won't cut it for this.

Get into PERFECT "UP" push-up form, looking straight ahead into your mirror - ensuring that you can see how straight your back is. Then start counting and SLOWLY letting your elbows bend until you are in PERFECT "down" push-up form. This SHOULD take a count of TEN!! Yes, it will REALLY hurt and be a MAJOR pain in the butt (and back and chest and arms). Once you are down, hold it for a count of three - making sure your elbows are bent at a 90 degree angle and your shoulders are parallel with or below your elbows. Now you can drop to your knees (or get out of the position altogether), and return to the PERFECT "UP" position.

Lather-rinse-repeat - until when you unlock your elbows you plummet all the way to the floor because your arms won't hold you any more. Yes, you will be shaking and it will TOTALLY suck.

Several hours later, do it again... and again... and again. If at all possible, do it at LEAST four times per day. Do NOT try to do a "regular" push-up for a full week.

Your core is probably really weak - so you need to tighten it up. Do planks and oblique planks, as well as "The Superman" (lay flat on your belly with hands outstretched - and then raise your arms and legs off the ground about 4-6" - you look like Superman flying! Hold for as long as possible - then keep holding it as you count to ten!) and "The Dirty Dog" (imagine a male dog lifting his leg to pee on a hydrant. Get on your hands and knees, looking at your mirror, then list one leg directly out until it is at least 90 degrees from when it was supporting you. Hold it for a count of three - then let it go back down. It's best if you alternate legs until you build up your core - or you will get ONE leg worked out and the other will be too tired to hold up).

A good core-building work out is as follows:
      Belly Busters (1-hour session)

1 Warm-up stretches
      2 Steam Engines (put hands on ears, (NOT behind head!) and bring up right knee to left elbow - alternating.
      3 Crunches (feet on ground - only come up about six inches)
      4 Bicycle Crunches (like steam engines - but lying on your back)
      5 Plank (oblique right - hold for at least 30 seconds)
      6 Narrow Push-ups (just go DOWN like the example above)
      7 Dirty Dogs (right leg)
      8 Mountain Climbers (How to do the Mountain Climbers Exercise - YouTube)
      9 Reverse Crunches (like Superman - just go up and hold it for a count of three)
      10 Kickbacks (right leg - start like Dirty Dog - kick leg straight back - hold for count of three)
      11 Plank (oblique left - 30 seconds)
      12 4-Count Thrusts (Burpee - Steve Maxwell: Burpee - YouTube - just don't bother jumping)
      13 Crunches (feet up)
      14 Frogs (frog crunches - YouTube - it's recommended to have your feet off the floor 6-12" for these)
      15 Kickbacks (left leg)
      16 8-Count Thrust (In-Home Cardio Workouts : How to Do Squat Thrust Exercises - YouTube - doing TWO pushups in the middle - you might want to avoid these for a while and consider it a 4-count thrust)
      17 Dirt Dogs (left leg)
      18 Leg Raisers (golden arches - lay on back, raise legs 6", then spread your legs slowly all the way out, keeping feet 6" off the floor, slowly put your feet together and then SLOWLY put them back on the floor)
      19 Triceps Dips (just use the floor)
      20 Reach Throughs (stand up with wide stance, hands over your head. Bend down and reach between your legs like you are grabbing something that is 1' behind you. SLOWLY bring your hands back up and stand up)
      21 Plank (regular plank)
      22 Crunches (oblique left - crunches but lead with that left elbow - like it is leading your body up to the "crunch" position - hold for 3-count)
      23 Staggered Push-ups (right hand forward of your left hand - it HURTS!!!)
      24 Crunches (oblique right)
      25 Staggered Push-ups (left)
      26 REPEAT as time permits
      27 Cool-downs

Notes:
      -Warm-ups and Cool-downs 10-minutes each
      -1st session - 20 sec reps
      -2nd session - 30 sec reps
      -3rd session - 45 sec reps
      -One minute reps for all Kickbacks and Dirty Dogs
      -Alternate with aerobic exercises and weights
      One bad thing about this workout - and I know this first hand - your waist will get smaller, and you will end up with a six-pack. Now you'll have to buy new bathing suits and clothes... but is that REALLY a bad thing?

Comment

Some good advice there. I bet you'll be surprised with some quick improvement in a week or two.

Comment

biddiggie: i can\'t even do one full rep so that really won\'t help. the furthest i can do down is till my arms are about a little less than or equal to 135 degrees instead of the regulation 90.

briani: thanks so much for this! it sounds like a great regiment and i\'ll definitely give it all i\'ve got.

Comment

With the pushups, your upper arms have got to be able to get parallel with the ground - so you'll have to get better than 135 degrees. Is the problem really your bust? I've never run into someone that was so well endowed that they couldn't get down all the way to 90 degrees.

Another thing to think about with huge chestage is running. I've had some shipmates that had that problem - and one came up with a phreaking BRILLIANT way of battling the problem. She spent LOTS of money on good sports bras - and some VERY good under-wire bras - and for PT, she wore BOTH, underwire underneath and sports bra on top. She still had some movement, but she no longer had back-aches and she no longer worried about having to move them out of the way to put on a belt when she was 30-years-old. Since I had this girl working for me, I've recommended the practice to those around that had the same problem and all have reported good results.

Yeah, I know I'm a bit blunt, but as a recovering E-9, we get that way.

Just use that negative resistance for the pushups and you'll get stronger. Oh, one thing I didn't mention... you will hate me for several weeks - because your pectoral and tricep muscles will hurt like HELL the day after you start. Just work through the pain and keep going. One "good thing" about it, though - it will make getting to muscle failure easier for a week or more!!

Comment

If my Google-fu is working and I'm right, you will have more of a problem with the tattoo than lack of pushups. Start checking with a Recruiter now about it.

Comment

my recruiter knows about both my tattoos and has seen them both (as has everyone at MEPS) and on one said anything to me about them. but don\'t worry about being blunt on this issue. it may not be my chest size but i honestly don\'t know what else it could be. i\'m not going to claim i\'m in the best physical condition but i\'m also not in the worst. like i said, i ride horses on a weekly basis and lug around hay bales and piles of tack which is no easy feat. my horse is a good two tons and i wrestle with her every time i ride, so i have upper body strength, just not in the right places i guess. iuno.

i do the multiple sports bra thing. i learned that trick when i got my mare about three years ago. i\'ll wear two sports bra\'s and a yoga cami (with a built in shelf) every time i go ride or do any sort of physical activity and that really helps.

i\'m currently doing weight lifting that was suggested to me by a high school football coach (he coaches for my old high school) to build strength in my arms so i can get to 90. 135 might be a bit of an exaggeration, but if i push myself to 90 i can\'t get back up much less hold it for any amount of time.

Comment

I hate push ups with a passion but i found this worked for me & i sucked at them for a long time. my suggestion is start doing them from something high like a couch or a dresser with good form. do that till you feel comfortable then find something lower like a coffee table or box & keep doing that till you can do them on the floor. do it every few days or just once a day it took me 3 weeks to get off of the couch till i moved lower but i found it was easier to do. This way you are building those muscles that you need with out having to use your whole body weight to start out. I now after 3 months can do about 50 push ups a day & not even be sore.

Comment

my advice is to start off from a higher place, like the couch or the table coffee table. So, put your hands on the couch, do about 5-10 push-ups (rest awhile then do it again) and add five more every week (one more push up a day). Or else put your feet on the couch then move to the lower level. i have the same problem too, and im shipping out within a week. oh well~

Comment

i'm fine with push up.. but i suck in pull ups hahaha

Comment

thanks for the advice. it\'s a slow process but it\'s coming along.

Comment

With that Belly Buster workout how many times a week should I do it?

Originally posted by BRaini View Post
                          If you are as bad as you say, the best way to do it is via negative pressure and muscle failure.

To do this, if you have a full-length mirror, it would REALLY help - or at least one that you can look straight forward to see your form. A hand-held mirror won't cut it for this.

Get into PERFECT "UP" push-up form, looking straight ahead into your mirror - ensuring that you can see how straight your back is. Then start counting and SLOWLY letting your elbows bend until you are in PERFECT "down" push-up form. This SHOULD take a count of TEN!! Yes, it will REALLY hurt and be a MAJOR pain in the butt (and back and chest and arms). Once you are down, hold it for a count of three - making sure your elbows are bent at a 90 degree angle and your shoulders are parallel with or below your elbows. Now you can drop to your knees (or get out of the position altogether), and return to the PERFECT "UP" position.

Lather-rinse-repeat - until when you unlock your elbows you plummet all the way to the floor because your arms won't hold you any more. Yes, you will be shaking and it will TOTALLY suck.

Several hours later, do it again... and again... and again. If at all possible, do it at LEAST four times per day. Do NOT try to do a "regular" push-up for a full week.

Your core is probably really weak - so you need to tighten it up. Do planks and oblique planks, as well as "The Superman" (lay flat on your belly with hands outstretched - and then raise your arms and legs off the ground about 4-6" - you look like Superman flying! Hold for as long as possible - then keep holding it as you count to ten!) and "The Dirty Dog" (imagine a male dog lifting his leg to pee on a hydrant. Get on your hands and knees, looking at your mirror, then list one leg directly out until it is at least 90 degrees from when it was supporting you. Hold it for a count of three - then let it go back down. It's best if you alternate legs until you build up your core - or you will get ONE leg worked out and the other will be too tired to hold up).

A good core-building work out is as follows:

One bad thing about this workout - and I know this first hand - your waist will get smaller, and you will end up with a six-pack. Now you'll have to buy new bathing suits and clothes... but is that REALLY a bad thing?

Comment

Belly Busters can be done three or more times a week - as you get better, you can cut the time for each exercise down and do them for 10-20 minutes every day. If you are unable to do one set of them at 20-seconds per exercise without falling apart, your core needs more work - so I wouldn't do them more than three times per week. The goal is to get you stronger - not make you so sore that you can't function as a human being!!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! Yeah, I have a hard time reaching that middle ground of enough and to much! I want to reach all my goals but my body shuts me down One day at a time I suppose, until they kick my butt in basic

Originally posted by BRaini View Post
                              Belly Busters can be done three or more times a week - as you get better, you can cut the time for each exercise down and do them for 10-20 minutes every day. If you are unable to do one set of them at 20-seconds per exercise without falling apart, your core needs more work - so I wouldn't do them more than three times per week. The goal is to get you stronger - not make you so sore that you can't function as a human being!!

Comment

Working...
                              X