X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for Navy RTC

First off I want to thank you for your consideration in the United States Navy. It's not an easy decision to make. You should be proud of yourself.

What To Know Before Shipping to RTC

When you contract in and begin your DEP period you should be issued a "S.T.A.R.T." booklet with plenty of information. If not then you should ask your recruiter for a copy. I will be going over some of the information provided in S.T.A.R.T. You should also check your local book store or library, or on the internet, for the Blue Jackets Manual. You really should grab a copy of the latest edition. I believe the latest one is 24th edition. You can get one on amazon from $19.99USD-$30.00USD

1. Sailor's Creed
    "I am a United States Sailor.

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States if America and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me.

I represent the fighting spirit of the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world.

I proudly serve my country's Navy combat team with HONOR, COURAGE and COMMITMENT.

I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all."

2. The Eleven General Orders of A Sentry
    "1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.

2. To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.

3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.

4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.

5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.

6. To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and Officers and Petty Officers of the Watch only.

7. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.

8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.

9. To call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.

10. To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.

11. To be especially watchful at night, and, during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority."

3. Mission of the Navy
    "The mission of the United States Navy is to protect and defend the right of the United States and our allies to move freely on the oceans and to protect our country against her enemies."

4. RTC Maxim
    "I will not lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those among us who do."

5. Rank Structure
    President of the United States

Vice President of the United States

Secretary of Defense (SECDEF)

Secretary of Navy (SECNAV)

Chief of Naval Operations (CNO)

Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON)

Commander Naval Education Training Command

Force Master Chief Petty Officer

Commander, Naval Service Training Command

Master Chief Petty Officer

Commanding Officer, Recruit Training Command

Command Master Chief

Executive Officer, Recruit Training Command (XO, RTC)

Military Training Director

Fleet Commander

Fleet Leading Chief Petty Officer

Ships Officer

Ships Leading Chief Petty Officer

Recruit Division Commander

6. Sailor Terminology
    adrift: Loose from moorings and out of control (applied to anything lost, out of hand, or left lying about)
    aft-end: Near or toward the stern of the vessel
    all hands: The entire ship's company, both officer and enlisted
    allotment: An amount of money a member has coming out of his regular pay
    aye-aye: Reply to an order or command meaning "I understand and will comply"
    barracks: Building where sailors live
    below: Downstairs
    brightwork: Brass or shiny metal kept polished rather than painted
    bunk or rack: Bed
    buoy: An anchored float used as an aid to navigation or to mark the location of an object
    carry on: An order to resume work duties
    cast off: To throw off; to let go; to unfurl
    chain locker: Compartment in which the anchor chain is stowed
    chit, chit book: Coupon or receipt book
    chow hall (mess deck): Place to eat
    colors: Raising or lowering of a national flag, Ceremonies held at 0800 and sunset for hoisting and hauling down the national ensign
    deep six: To dispose of by throwing over the side
    ensign: National flag; commissioned officer between the rank of Chief Warrant Officer and Lieutenant Junior Grade
    fast: Snugly secured
    fathom: A unit of length (equal to 6 feet) used for measuring depth of water
    flag officer: Any commissioned officer in paygrade O-7 or above
    galley: Kitchen
    gangway: An opening in a bulwark or lifeline that provides access to a brow or accommodation ladder; an order meaning clear the way
    gear locker: Storage room
    geedunk: Candy, gum or cafeteria
    general quarters: Battle stations
    liberty: Permission to leave the base (usually for not more than 48 hours)
    lifeline: Lines erected around the weather decks of a ship
    overhead: Ceiling
    passageway: Hallway
    quarters: Assembling of all hands for muster, instruction, and inspection
    rating: A job specialty title
    reveille: Wake up, start a new day
    scullery: Place to wash dishes
    scuttlebutt: Drinking fountain; a rumor
    secure: Lock, put away or stop work
    sickbay: Hospital or medical clinic
    swap: Mob
    taps: Time to sleep, end of day
    tattoo: Five minutes before taps
    topside: Upstairs
    turn to: Begin work
    working aloft: Working above the highest deck; generally performing maintenance on the ship's mast

NOTE: These are NOT all of the terms. These you will hear most often.

7. Phonetic Alphabet
    A Alpha
    B Bravo
    C Charlie
    D Delta
    E Echo
    F Foxtrot
    G Golf
    H Hotel
    I India
    J Juliett
    K Kilo
    L Lima
    M Mike
    N November
    O Oscar
    P Papa
    Q Quebec
    R Romeo
    S Sierra
    T Tango
    U Uniform
    V Victor
    W Whiskey
    X X-ray
    Y Yankee
    Z Zulu

8. What To Bring To RTC
    About $25-$50 Cash, or debit/credit card.

Glasses or contacts. (If contacts then bring one pair and a bottle of solution 3oz. or less along with the contact container. You will be issued glasses at RTC.)

A blank check, or a completed direct deposit form. You have the option to sign up with the Navy Federal Credit Union.

$20 Phone card -1000 minutes. (Preferably AT&T)

Small address book with important numbers and addresses.

Book of stamps.

Cell Phone. (You can only make the first call with a personal phone. It will be sent back in a box with your other belongings.)

Small Bible.

Additional items to bring, if applicable:

Marriage certificate, copies of spouse and children's birth certificates, divorce decrees.

Female Recruits may also bring:

Sanitary items and/or birth control pills.

Basic make-up. Often this also comes home in the box. No glass items, including mirrors, are permitted. Female recruits may buy makeup at the NEX for picture day and for PIR.
    Last edited by AuXFire; December 20th, 2011, 11:10.

9. RTC Weekly Structure
    The First Half of Navy Boot Camp

Week One - During week one you will go through processing. You will fill out a lot of forms regarding health, benefits, wages, direct deposit, insurance, the Montgomery G.I. Bill and much more. If you haven't yet memorized your social security number, you will want to before you leave for boot camp, you'll be writing it on everything. Once you've finished processing, then the real fun starts.

Week Two - Week two finds you tired, irritable and wondering what the heck you got yourself into. You will get used to waking up at 0600, I promise. This week you will begin physical conditioning and participate in a confidence course. The focus for this week of training is team-building. You will learn to rely on your shipmates, and the confidence course is a big start.

Week Three - In a hands-on environment, this week you will learn first aid techniques, signalling with flags, the proper procedure to board and disembark a ship, and basic seamanship. You will do this training on a real ship situated in a large hangar. Your first PT (physical training) test is administered during week three, the areas tested are 1.5 mile run, push-ups and sit-ups. This is often called the PT0, because it is the starting point from which you will improve.

Week Four - Time for weapon training. You will go through safety training, then weapon training in a supervised range environment. This is the halfway point in your academic training, as well as the week during which you will take your graduation photos in preparation for your Pass and Review ceremony.

The Second Half of Boot Camp

You've reached the home stretch at this point, with four more weeks to go! Here's what you'll do during the second half of boot camp:

Week Five - More classes, more training, and a lot more PT. By this point you've learned how to do everything the way the Navy wants you too, and though you may not feel like it -- you've changed. Rigorous training and a restricted diet, a fast paced and active training style in and out of the classroom, and a behavioral structure deeply rooted in forming a team bond between you and up to 100 total strangers have all contributed to your change, and in most cases this change is for the best.

Week Six - Fire fighting training, and shipboard damage control classes. This week you will learn how to put fires out, how to properly don fire safety gear in case you must fight a fire onboard ship, how to open and close watertight doors, and operate fire fighting equipment. This week also finds you and your shipmates inside the gas chamber, being exposed to tear gas while you and everyone else recites name and social security number. You will also go through the confidence course again, further solidifying the concept of teamwork and comraderie.

Week Seven - At this point, you're nearly finished with boot camp. Excitement sets in and now you're ready for the final test: Battle Stations. Battle Stations is a twelve hour event held to test your entire division on how well you've absorbed everything you've learned so far. If you are present at the call for Battle Stations, this means you have successfully passed all academic and physical challenges presented to you up to this point, and are ready for this final test. You will be pushed to the very brink here, and will find that once it is over and you stand in the finishing room, dirty, beyond weary, emotional and drained. All that fades away as the Commanding Officer in charge of RTC Great Lakes comes in to personally congratulate you, presenting you and your division with your new status as a United States Sailor -- your Navy ball cap.

Week Eight - Graduation/Pass and Review. Aside from everything mentioned above, part of your training has been in drill and ceremony. That portion of your training will come in to play here, where you march proudly, shoulders squared and with a bolstered confidence before friends, family, and thousands of supportive individuals from all walks of life. There is nothing like it in the whole world.

Watch this video to see some RTC action for yourself:

10. RTC Ranks

Recruit Chief Petty Officer (RCPO)
    The RCPO is the primary recruit assistant to RDCs and is respinsible for:
    1. Maintaining good order, discipline, and security within the division at all times.
    2. Ensuring compliance with standing orders and regulations.
    3. Assisting RDCs with implementation of schedules.
    4. Reporting any abnormal condition to RDCs, including violations of good order, discipline, and security when RDCs are not present.

Recruit Leading Petty Officer (RLPO)(RP01)
    The RLPO is responsible for RCPO and RDCs for:
    1. Assisting the RCPO
    2. Ensuring compliance with standing orders and regulations.
    3. Assuming duties as RCPO when required.

Recruit Master-at-Arms (RMAA)(RP01)
    The Recruit Master-at-Arms is responsible for RCPO and RDCs for:
    1. Configuration of cleanliness of division spaces.
    2. Procurement, proper stowage and use of all cleaning required by division.
    3. Supervision of the division absence of RDCs RCPO or RLPO.

Port and Starboard Watch Section Leaders (PWSL/SWSL)(RP01)
    The Port/Starboard Watch Section Leaders are the senior Recruit Petty Officers for respective watch sections.
    1. The Starboard Watch Section Leader (SWSL) shall serve as the division's watch bill coordinator. Watch bills will be prepared ans subsequently submitted to the RDCs via the RCPO.
    2. The Port Watch Section Leader (PWSL) shall coordinate the rotation of the ship watch standers with the RDCs.

Recriut Yeoman (YN)(RP01)
    The Recruit YN is responsible RDCs for:
    1. Performing general clerical duties in the division and assisting RDCs with the preparation and maintenance of divisional reports, records, class attendance rosters, and mail pick-up distribution.
    2. Coordinating the Medical YN, Education Petty Officer, Athletic Petty Officer, and Religious Petty Officer to ensure compliance with special scheduled events.
    3. Attending Mail Orderly, Medical/Dental, BMO/Testing, and Physical Fitness Testing briefings.

Recruit Section Leaders (SL)(RP02)

Section Leaders are responsible to the respective Watch Section Leader for:
    1. Supervising and assisting the recruits in respective sections.
    2. Monitoring personal cleanliness, military appearance, clothing care, and watch standing for recruits assigned to respective sections.

Division Laundry Petty Officer (LPO)(RP02)
    The LPO is responsible for the RMAA and RDCs for executing proper laundry handling procedures. The LPO is also responsible for maintaining the cash box and division expense log.

Recruit Education Petty Officer (EPO)(RP02)
    The EPO is responsible for assisting RDCs in administering and mustering night study and mandatory night study classes. The EPO will attend a test brief.

Recruit Athletic Petty Officer (APO)(RP03)
    The Recruit Athletic Petty Officer is responsible to RDCs for:
    1. Assisting RDCs with Physical Readiness Training.
    2. Providing non-participation or substandard performance documentation to the MYN.
    3. Attending a Physical Test Brief.

Recruit Mail Petty Officers (MPO)(RP03)
    The MPO is responsible for the pick-up and delivery of all mail. Designation as MPO includes special qualifications such as mail orderly orientation and custody of a mail orderly card.

Recruit Damage Control Petty Officer (DCPO)RP03)
    The DCPO is responsible to the RMAA for:
    1. Correcting any fire hazards.
    2. Maintaining division fire extinguishers, to include proper location and working order.
    3. Assisting RDCs with the minor repair and general maintenance of the compartment.
    3. Properly documenting any material discrepancies that cannot be corrected.
    Last edited by AuXFire; January 11th, 2012, 05:50.

Comment

11. Ranks and Recognition
      For a list of ranks and insignias visit this webpage:
      US Navy Military Ranks, lowest to highest

12. Navy Ratings and Descriptions
      For a list of ratings and rating descriptions as well as requirements visit this webpage:
      US Navy Ratings Main Page

13. Physical Fitness
      Of course RTC will include getting physically fit in its agenda, but to help yourself out you should get into shape before going to RTC. Getting into shape will help you out quite a bit, but don't get me wrong, RTC will still be challenging. You just have to remember that to keep your self going in RTC you have to keep a solid mental state. In all reality it's 90% mental and 10% physical. The 10% is still as hard to handle as the 90% but don't be discouraged. The Navy PFA's will consist of:

1.5 mi. run (complete in under 12:15) Try for 9-10 minutes.
      Push-Ups (2 minutes to do as many as you can) Try for 70 at the LEAST
      Sit-Ups (2 minutes to do as many as you can) Try for 80 at the LEAST
      Swimming (must pass swimmer third class to advance)
      Other cardio and and workout routines to get you into tippy top shape. Those are just a main focus on what they want you to pass. There is a link on this forum to help you get into shape:
      BootCamp4Me - Boot Camp Exercises

14. Do's and Dont's of RTC
      There are many do's and dont's at RTC but here are just a few:

Do - What they say, when they say to, and how they say it to do it.
      Do - Listen very carefully to anything and everything within hearing.
      Do - Be watchful of all happenings within sight.
      Do - Help out fellow recruits as much as possible.
      Do - Ask for help when you need it. Don't wait.

Don't - Talk
      Don't - Say, "Sorry Petty Officer." Big mistake if you do that.
      Don't - Be disrespectful or disobedient.
      Don't - Lie, cheat, or steal. (RTC Maxim: "I will never lie, cheat, or steal nor tolerate those among us who do.")
      Don't - COMPLAIN

There are many many more of each that you will find out once you get off that plane.

15. Drill Etiquette

Know your positions and when you can do them.

Here are the positions (these are only performed while at halt):
      Attention
      Parade Rest
      At Ease
      Fall Out
      Uncover

Facings (these are also performed while at halt, performed while marching):
      Right or Left Face
      About Face
      Alignment
      Dress Right, Dress
      Hand Salute

16. Navy History
      It is a really good idea to read up and study on some Navy History. It will help you out a bit to have this learned before you leave for RTC. You don't have to know every minor detail there is to know but you do have to know the basics. For Navy History visit this wiki page:
      US Navy History

Here is a documentary that PBS did. Some of you may have seen it some not. It is a really great series of videos. Make sure to watch them in order if you do. It's roughly 10 hours of video. This is a real life documentary. None of it was staged or scripted. It's 100% real. I take no credit for the videos (of course :P) These videos do contain strong language.

More info will be added soon.
      Last edited by AuXFire; December 20th, 2011, 11:18.

Comment

Could I get this thread stickied. I closed the other thinking there was something wrong where I couldn't edit it. Found out it's a setting that BootCamp has to change. If you could also delete the other thread. Thanks Tim!

Comment

How does one go about obtaining a position in the RTC Ranks as in section 10. above? Are there any requisites?

Comment

As you begin your basic you will be put in a position of their choosing I believe.

Comment

Could I get this stickied? I will add more info soon. XD

Comment

Somehow I expected more yelling in the video. I'm sure they down played a lot of it. Once the cameras left I bet those future sailors got a rude awakening.

Comment

Yea my bff said they down played they video A LOT. They make u feel like ure so dumb. I guess they have a "nice" video to keep ppl interested.

Comment

I think you have a chance to volunteer for an RTC Rank.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment lol

Comment

Yes, you should volunteer for anything and everything you are asked to. It will help you out lots during your time in the boot. Also, if you get on their good side and promoted enough in basic you are eligible for an advance in pay grade.

Comment

You realize the navy stands for never again volunteer yourself....

Comment

Originally posted by Boats View Post
                            You do realize that if you don't volunteer for anything, anytime, anywhere that you get nowhere fast. Not just in the military either. I live in Tennessee "The VOLUNTEER State." I have been raised to volunteer and the rewards are always good. So when I put on my E-6 before my first contract is even up, I get auto E-4 after school btw, and you would put on E-4, E-5, you should think back on the volunteering. Just saying. No flaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Boats View Post
                              Bad advice.

My brother-in-law went through Army boot camp very recently, volunteered often and was thankful he did. When the drill sergeants asked for volunteers for shit duties, he didn't raise his hand, the drill sergeants picked someone who didn't volunteer often to spite them.

The more you volunteer, the more favor you gain with the RDCs.

Originally posted by AuXFire View Post
                              You do realize that if you don't volunteer for anything, anytime, anywhere that you get nowhere fast. Not just in the military either. I live in Tennessee "The VOLUNTEER State." I have been raised to volunteer and the rewards are always good. So when I put on my E-6 before my first contract is even up, I get auto E-4 after school btw, and you would put on E-4, E-5, you should think back on the volunteering. Just saying. No flaming.
                              AuXFire, I like you. Volunteer State for life.

Comment

Working...
                              X