Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joining the Navy - Why did you join the Navy instead of the other branches?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the Navy - Why did you join the Navy instead of the other branches?

Just curious to hear some of your reasons as to why you picked the Navy over the other branches.

For me it was really dumb, I just went to the first door I came to at the Military Recruiting Center.

I just wanted to get out of my town and do something BIG. I wasn't happy with the 9-5 I was doing and same old routine. Sure I was manager of my store and earning a cool $32,000 a year (that was a lot in southern Indiana in 2005 lol)... but i wanted more.... hell, I would have been a janitor if thy wanted me. Luckily, I ended up a US Navy Corpsman and met some "next level" people.

I thought the idea of being on a ship and visiting Australia, Japan and other ports as something really exciting.... I had no idea they would stick me with the Marines and I would never even see a ship lol

So what about you?

Lets hear your story.

Navy brat, Never wanted to Join the navy...I didn't do it cause it brought me pride or service to my country. In fact I just thought of this as another job nothing more and nothing less...something to pass the time til I figure out what I wanted to do with my Life...I Joined with the thought of I'm doing 4 yrs and that's it just so I could get money for college whatever. But they say that if You do truely love what you do then once you make that e-4 then you'll stay...well 8 yrs later and 6 more yrs..I'm still doing this. I've also seen 15 or so more or less country and some great friends. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Comment

I'm not in the Navy just yet, I have a 2 months till i enlist. But, the reason why I'm joining the Navy is because my dad served from 98 to 06. He think it will be a great stepping stone for me. He was an AS, I'm hoping to get CM or any other SeaBee rating in particular. I hope I get the opportunity to make a career out of the U.S. Navy. It would be amazing.

Comment

I have made the decision to join the navy probably cuz of the following reasons;
        1) I also wanted to do something BIG
        2) I had the ASVAB scores for some pretty sweat jobs, going to be a nuclear Sub control officer
        3) I love water! Rain and the ocean! I'm down! I wouldn't trade it for anything else
        4) I know it can be a bad reason but I wanted to prove that I could do something worth while with my life, and the Navy will give that to me I think
        5) The Navy will take care of me and my future family, willing to pay for not just my schooling but my families as well? I'm all for that!

So, I guess those are my reasons for joining the Navy, can't think of anything else worth doing in it's place...

Comment

It would be amazing. I want to make my enlistment a career too... military has run in the family so might as well follow...

Comment

I went to college for Nuclear Engineering and I want to do something that related to that. And since the navy is the only branch that's allowed to use nuclear powered stuff it was a bit of a no brainer. there were also some other smaller things, the usual some girl problems, wanting to serve my country, travel

Comment

I've always wanted to join the military since I was little, and as cheesy as it sounds, its been my only dream in life. My grandpa served in the Navy back during the Korean War as an aircraft mechanic, so naturally I wanted to follow in his footsteps and join the same the branch, as I always looked up to him even though I didn't get to spend much time with him before he passed. I also wanted to see the difference I was making first hand and I wanted to serve on the front lines, so I decided to try to enlist as an Corpsman as it offered both of those, and luckily, I was able to get the rate at MEPS. I ship out 20130219 and with only two months left, and having waited seven so far, I'm more than ready to go.

Comment

I'm from Seymour Indiana. I leave April 2nd for Great Lakes. I originally tried to go Air Force however due to all my student loans from acquiring my Bachelors Degree they weren't interested. It has been a blessing in disguise though, my Navy recruiter has been great and I am excited about the travel, eventually getting my Masters, steady pay plus benefits, and just doing something that makes a difference. Since college I have had a couple sales jobs in the fitness industry and currently teach special education for elementary kids. I have enjoyed it but it lacks a promising future and I'm just not overly passionate about it. Ready for a big change!
                Last edited by Kiel; January 19th, 2013, 22:07.

Comment

I joined the military so my son would have a good life. I joined the Navy because, well, the day I went to talk to a recruiter, the Army office was closed, the Marine recruiter kicked me out because he was eating lunch (dumb, right? Straight yelled as soon as I opened the door), and when I went back out from there, AO1 was smoking a cig. I started talking to him, and now I'm in P-cola.

Comment

I joined the Navy because I wanted something that gave me plenty of oppurtunities. We have everything. Land, sea and air. And some times you even to get to do all three. Plus, I'm more of a behind the scenes person, so doing 13 mile rucks wouldn't have been my forte.

Comment

Working...
                    X