X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Boot Camp Swimming Qualifications

The Third Class Swim Test is administered early in the training program.
    • Students who are evaluated as being unsafe in the water will be removed from training and given remedial swim training.
    • Students who are unable to successfully complete the swim test, following extensive remedial instruction, will be held at training until able to pass the swim test. After three weeks of extra instruction administrative action will be taken.

Third Class Swim Test consists of the following:
    • Abandon Ship Jump: Jump from a 10 foot tower to simulate abandoning ship.
    • 5 minute Prone Float: Remain afloat face down, utilizing survival floating skills, for five minutes.
    • Shirt and Trouser inflation: Fill a shirt and pair of trousers with air to remain afloat.
    • 50 yd Swim: Using any single following stroke or combination of the crawl, breaststroke, sidestroke, and elementary backstroke

IN ALL EVENTS THE SWIMMER MUST APPEAR CALM AND RELAXED

This is the instruction I found.... I have to wonder about that "remain afloat face down for 5 minutes" part lol

I will email someone about this and will update this post as to how they explain that part.

yeah im wondering about face down floating but i found this.
    "You float face down, head underwater. When you need to breathe, you raise your head, staying on your stomach, take a breath, and then float head down again. The idea is that this uses very little energy, so you can maintain it for a long time."

heres an ehow link for it.
    How to Survival Float | eHow.com

Comment

Swimming....Yikes I can't swim..

Comment

Swimming, thats the hardest thing for me, shipping out in june.

Comment

Eesh. I feel like Im going to be doomed with swimming. I couldn't even float on my backside when I was a kid.

Comment

As far as the concern goes, they'll let you retake the swim test over and over again. It depends on the RDC how many times you take it because you get ASMO'd though (set back in training). My RDC's let two of the last swimmers take the test over 20 times before he ASMO'd them (And even then, one of them actually came back into our division because he passed the swim test in his new division).

Floating face down isn't as bad as it sounds. For some reason I when I heard it I thought they meant we had to hold our breath for 5 minutes. That's not the case. You just need to float face down for a little bit (~15 seconds), "swim in place" (forgot what it's called) for a few seconds (~5) to get some air, and go back down. Repeat for about 5 minutes.

Comment

I can elaborate on the swim part and what happens if you don't pass...you do the swim about 1-2 day (1st week, 2nd day) you fail any part then you have to go in and retake that part. Our RDCs sent the swimmers down to the pool so they could either test again or continue swimming lessons they give at the pool. Anyways, you swim if there's no mandatory events and depending on the division you get into you may have very few chances to swim. About the 6th week if you still haven't passed you get ASMO'd (moved) to a special division made up of swimmers and you swim every day until you pass your swim, if you pass in time, you'll go back to your division and run battlestations, if you don't you'll run battlestations with another division. If you can't swim now, you ought to learn...If you run battlestations with another division then you'll likely get your orders late and have to sit in holding...you won't graduate with your division and you won't get weekend liberty. All you need to do is a basic backstroke, prone float (you basically do what the person above me suggested), and you have to inflate some coveralls by swatting air into them. Not hard. Just make sure you can swim.

Comment

dang i can swim just fine..but i have a hard time floating!!

Comment

Swimming :/ I was one of the "swimmers" having to go back three times before I finally passed the float portion of the test. I was super scared at first but when I finally relaxed and controlled my movements and breathing I passed. That was my happiest moment at RTC because I didnt think I would ever pass it. Another thing that helped me keep my mind off it and off being tired is I listened to the instuctors conversation when I came up for air. The pool area was freezing, I was there in January, so try to knock ur swim out asap. Good luck future sailors!

Comment

I know this sounds stupid but jumping off a 10ft tower??? Did anyone have issues with that at all? like heights wise?

Comment

Crap. I'll be down there during December and I just know I am going to get a cold ha.

Comment

My son is in bootcamp and he called me to let me know he was held back because he didn't pass his swim. I call someone to ask what that meant and they told me, he will be sent home because he didn't pass the swim. I started crying because my son really wanted to go in the Navy because he wanted to follow his dad's footsteps, but I found out that not true about the being sent home because he couldn't swim thanks to this site. The only thing I'm upset about now is I purchased my flight tickets a month ago to Chicago to see him graduate in this month, now I have to cancel...

Comment

yeah.. my son is Chicago and he sounds like crap...We are from the deep south (near florida) where there is noooo snow and he is not used to the below temperatures.

Comment

He isn't being sent home. They wouldn't send someone home because they didn't pass the swim qual, that would be dumb.

EDIT: D'oh, just saw that you already knew that. Oh well.

Comment

[QUOTE=zellthemedic;11707]He isn't being sent home. They wouldn't send someone home because they didn't pass the swim qual, that would be dumb.

EDIT: D'oh, just saw that you already knew that. Oh well.

D'oh...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X