X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy VS AF RESERVE

What's the difference betweeen the Navy and the AF reserve? Especially in benefits and deployment and education posibilities? Im currently on DEP program of the AF since March and rethinking and considering of joining the reserves since Ive been waiting for my ship date for so long. My recruiter told me before that I might get a job booked by June/July and yesterday, he just told me that it "might" be on October. In my contract for DEP, it says that Im currently in the AF Inactive Reserves for 4 years, if I choose to go on the Navy reserves, Do I need to repeat the whole process again?(MEPS/ASVAB)

I think the navy has better deployments than the AF reserve since you have more chances of being deployed overseas for your annual training, am I correct? Also, is it possible to do all your monthly drills for the year in an extended period together with your annual training? My plan was to go to college while in the service and probably get another part tme job or start a business while in the reserve. Thanks for your help.

Since your currently in DEP, any changed you might want to consider such as switching branches might just get you out of the military completely.

Your recruiters already did all the work to get you signed up, down to MEPS and ready to go.... if they hear you're headed to the Navy they might try to make things hard for you.

As far as benefits, they are all the same. Educational and other benefits come from the VA and Dept. of Defense.. not the individual branches.

Here is the reserve educational benefits program.. its called REAP. You can learn more about it here Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs ....if you look at the current pay levels, you will see that they are based on time in service.. not the service you joined. You can also look into the Post 9/11 GI bill for other info

as far as where you COULD be deployed.. it depends on your job, not your branch necessarily. All branches put their people on different branches bases... some Navy cats are on Marine bases (like I was), some AF people are on Army bases.... it really comes down to your job. Some jobs are just more likely to travel than others.. but its really a crap shoot.

Your wishes are probably irrelevant at this point... you're already signed up.

Comment

Originally posted by BootCamp4Me View Post
      Since your currently in DEP, any changed you might want to consider such as switching branches might just get you out of the military completely.

Your recruiters already did all the work to get you signed up, down to MEPS and ready to go.... if they hear you're headed to the Navy they might try to make things hard for you.

As far as benefits, they are all the same. Educational and other benefits come from the VA and Dept. of Defense.. not the individual branches.

Here is the reserve educational benefits program.. its called REAP. You can learn more about it here Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs ....if you look at the current pay levels, you will see that they are based on time in service.. not the service you joined. You can also look into the Post 9/11 GI bill for other info

as far as where you COULD be deployed.. it depends on your job, not your branch necessarily. All branches put their people on different branches bases... some Navy cats are on Marine bases (like I was), some AF people are on Army bases.... it really comes down to your job. Some jobs are just more likely to travel than others.. but its really a crap shoot.

Your wishes are probably irrelevant at this point... you're already signed up.
      I might just wait till October. Thank you for your answer Sir. I appreciate it.

Comment

You're very welcome.

keep us updated on your progress and how things are coming along with you.

Hows your fitness levels, general orders and things like that?

For many rates, advancing is much easier than if you were active duty. thats because so many reservists dont take it serious and put in the work. So it leaves openings for motivated people...

I hope you do well!

Comment

Working...
        X